‘Utter Loss of Shame’ – President Obama Appears to Criticize Trump in Speech
Obama speaks the words of a true leader
While giving the 2018 Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture in Johannesburg, South Africa, former President Barack Obama appeared to take some small jabs against President Trump for his recent embarrassing performance at the Russia-United States Summit in Helsinki, Finland.
The word “appeared” is used because Obama, being the smart man that he is, refused to say any direct names, instead sticking to the policies and issues at play. For one, Obama pointed out the rise of “fear and retrenchment” brought about by strongmen:
“I am not being alarmist, I’m simply stating the facts. Look around — strongman politics are ascendant, suddenly, whereby elections and some pretense of democracy are maintained, the form of it, where those in powers seek to undermine every institution or norm that gives democracy meaning.”
This is most likely a reference to Trump upping his negative rhetoric against media institutions and the FBI, the latter of which he refused to believe over Putin’s words when it came to claims of Russian interference in the 2016 election.
Obama’s use of the term “strongman politics” could also be an allusion to the popularity of dictator-like figures like Putin and Rodrigo Duterte, both of whom Trump claims to have good relationships with. Not surprising, considering all three share the similar trait of being notorious liars.
“We see the utter loss of shame in political leaders when they’re caught in a lie and they just double down and lie some more.”
There were also references to the Paris Climate deal and peaceful protests. Readers can check out the entirety of Obama’s brilliant speech below:
Featured image a screen capture from NBC News’s YouTube Channel
- Kanye West Delivers Bizarre Rambling Rant During Trump Visit | Reverb TV
- What do Julius Caesar and Trump Have in Common? Both Embraced Immunity From Prosecution
- “His Policies are Working” – Republican Rep. Praises Trump for Rising Healthcare Costs
- Need Help Preparing for the Midterms? These Resources and Questions Will Help You
- Trump’s America: Black Man Stalked, Reported to Police for Babysitting White Kids
- A Nobel Winning Scientist Proved There is No Conflict Between the Economy and the Environment