Bush’s Ethics Lawyer Slams Trump ‘Malarky’ About President’s Conflicts of Interest
The are two Emoluments Clauses located in the United States Constitution. The first one, in Article I, Section 9, Clause 8, claims that no politician shall receive “any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever” from a foreign state, while the second, in Article II, Section 1, Clause 7, specifically states that the President “shall not receive….any other Emolument from the United States” outside of their designated income.
In both regards, there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that President Trump has violated both of these. As readers may be aware, Trump ran the conglomerate The Trump Organization prior to getting elected, which conducts dealings both foreign and domestic. The problem is he has not severed ties with it as completely as he should. For example, both his sons serve as advisers to his Administration while simultaneously running the organization, something that has cost the taxpayers money in terms of providing extra security for their business trips.
Now, however, Trump has done something unethical even by his low standards. It was reported by Forbes’s Dan Alexander that Trump’s son Eric would be sharing the financial reports of The Trump Organization with his father despite stating he would not do so, proving once again that the Trumps are nothing but corrupt liars.
This is a problem because it shows that Trump is continuing to play a part in running his “former” business, and one person who agrees with that is ironically a former Bush lawyer. Speaking to Forbes, former Chief Ethics Lawyer for the Bush Administration Richard Painter had this to say:
“It just means that a lot of what they say is malarkey because the president isn’t distancing himself from the business.”
We are going to side with him on this debate.
Image by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images
- Kanye West Delivers Bizarre Rambling Rant During Trump Visit | Reverb TV
- What do Julius Caesar and Trump Have in Common? Both Embraced Immunity From Prosecution
- “His Policies are Working” – Republican Rep. Praises Trump for Rising Healthcare Costs
- Need Help Preparing for the Midterms? These Resources and Questions Will Help You
- Trump’s America: Black Man Stalked, Reported to Police for Babysitting White Kids
- A Nobel Winning Scientist Proved There is No Conflict Between the Economy and the Environment